You just got your internet connection hooked up. You go to your room and try to connect to the Wi-Fi, but somehow your device cannot detect a wireless signal. Horrible, right? Not necessarily. Having one of the best wifi extenders can make all the difference.
|BRAND/MODEL||BAND||WIRELESS STANDARD||THROUGHPUT||ETHERNET PORTS||ANTENNAS||PRICE RANGE|
|Belkin F9K1106||Dual||AC||300Mbps for 2.4GHz | 300Mbps for 5GHz||4||Internal||$25 to $80|
|D-Link DAP-1520 Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC750)||Dual||AC||up to 750Mbps (300Mbps for 2.4GHz and 450 Mbps for 5GHz)||None||Internal||$20 to $89|
|D-Link DAP-1650 Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC1200)||Dual||AC||up to 1200Mbps (300Mbps for 2.4GHz & 867Mbps for 4GHz)||4||Internal||$70 to $90|
|Hawking HW2R1||Single (2.4GHz)||AC||up to 1200Mbps||5||External||$95 to $105|
|Linksys RE6500 Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC1200)||Dual||AC||up to 1200Mbps||4||External||$89 to $110|
|Netgear EX3700 Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC750)||Dual||AC||up to 750Mbps||1||External||$37|
|Netgear EX6200 Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC1200)||Dual||AC||up to 1200Mbps||5||External||$83 to $95|
|TP-Link RE350 AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender||Dual||AC||up to 1200Mbps||1||External||$60|
|ZyXEL WAP3205||Dual||B, G, N||up to 300Mbps||2||External||$30 to $50|
The poor signal connection can happen if the signal coming from the wireless router is not in range. There can similarly be objects or structures that can obstruct the signal, such as walls, furniture or other devices. It’s not the end of the world.
There are wifi extenders or booster devices that can be used for the Wi-Fi signal to reach even the farthest room in your house (even the neighbors). A wifi extender boosts your wireless signal by transmitting the Wi-Fi signal from your existing router to other wireless devices.
In order to find the best wifi extenders, it is helpful to know which one would work best for you, and what are the features of a good wireless signal extender.
How Much Boost Do You Need?
To find the best wifi extender for your home, it will be important to know on how far you need the Wi-Fi signal to reach. If your router is only capable of broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal of about 200 feet maximum but your bedroom is 300 feet away, you need to find a wifi extender that can fill in for the range difference. It is best to have a “hotspot” anywhere in your house to fully enjoy the Wi-Fi experience.
How Much Throughput Do You Need?
Most of the best wifi extenders can support a single band and dual-bands. As much as possible, do not use single-band extenders. Extenders transfer a lot of data from the router, so it’s best to ensure efficiency.
Single band wifi extenders can broadcast signals on the same band, while dual-band extenders can use two different groups for connecting to the router and broadcasting. When choosing the best Wireless signal extender, it is important to consider the throughput (measured in mbps) as well as the bands (measured in GHz).
How Can Antennas Help Boost My Signal?
The best wifi extenders work with antennas to capture the signal from your router and rebroadcast them. Most of these extenders have dual antennas for broadcasting and transmitting. Some may have more than two antennas to help increase the range of broadcast. The antennas can either be seen outside or not, depending on your choice.
Can I Also Get Wired Connection Using a Wifi Extender?
The answer is yes. Some Wifi extenders also provide Ethernet ports where you are able to directly pug your devices. Some ports vary per device. Although these wifi extenders are supposed to boost the Wi-Fi signal, it is advantageous to have additional Ethernet ports for your wired connection needs.
Can You Setup A Wifi Extender by Yourself?
The complexity of the structure varies per Wifi extender. Of course, you have to match the installation needs with your skills. That being said, some devices can be set-up by plugging in and pushing a button, so you don’t have to worry about complicated setups. These may be the best wifi extender options for the less tech savvy buyers.
Some devices offer features that will require additional set-up steps. Regardless of which method you choose, make sure that you are able to maintain your device accordingly and that you follow all the steps for proper installation.
What Kind of After-Sales Service Can I Expect?
As with any device that you might purchase, it is important to consider that warranty that is bundled with your purchase. This will shield you from any defects that you may encounter any time after purchase.
If possible, choose a device that comes with a longer warranty, or those that will continue to provide support even after the warranty has lapsed.
Can You Boost Wireless Signal Without Breaking the Bank?
Wifi extenders’ prices can range anywhere from $20 to $150. Depending on the features you are looking for, you should be able to find an extender that will not cost you an arm or a leg.
Based on these, we have a few recommendations on what are the best wifi extenders available in shops with their different features to help you decide.
The Belkin F9K1106 wifi extender’s price can range from $25 to $80. It comes with a dual-band extender (can stream both 2.4GHz and 5GHz). This Belkin extender can offer throughputs of 300Mbps for 2.4GHz, and 300Mbps for 5GHz. Lastly, this extender has four Ethernet ports that can be used to connect AV devices (including your home theater) that are internet-enabled. These options combined together make the Belkin F91106 one of the best wifi extenders on the market.
- It requires an easy set-up, and you don’t have to install anything.
- Since there are no external antennas, the extender looks aesthetically pleasing. This wifi extender is a good option to boost wireless signal throughout your home.
- A disadvantage of the Belkin F9K1106 is that its settings cannot be managed remotely.
D-Link DAP-1520 Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC750)
THE D-Link DAP-1520 wifi extender’s price can range from $20 to $50. It has a dual-band extender (can stream both 2.4GHz and 5GHz). It supports the latest Wireless AC standard and offers a throughput of 750Mbps (300 Mbps on 2.4GHz and 433 Mbps on 5GHz).
- It saves and restore your device’s settings even when there are power outages in your area, or if you need to do a factory reset.
- It can also monitor your network’s traffic.
- Your router’s signal can be extended with just a push of a button.
- This wifi extender is ideal for home use, and for those with limited technical know-how.
- It’s affordable and easy to install – plugs it right into your wall socket.
- It does not support wired bridging.
D-Link DAP-1650 Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC1200)
This wifi extender’s price can range from $70 to $90. The D-link DAP 1650 has a dual-band extender (can stream both 2.4GHz and 5GHz). It supports the latest Wireless AC standard and offers a high throughput of 1200Mbps (300Mbps for 2.4GHz & 867Mbps for 4GHz).
- It provides a four Gigabit Ethernet port.
- Compact console-like design that requires a simple setup process.
- Allows you to share files, like music or video, throughout your network.
- The extender looks aesthetically pleasing for some users.
- This extender can offer impressive speeds and can boost wireless signal over a large coverage area.
- Only has USB 2.0 ports
The price of the Hawking HW2R1 wifi extendercan range from $95 to $105. It only works on a single band (2.4GHz), but based on reviews, it is considered among the best Wifi extenders in the market. It supports the latest Wireless AC standard and offers a high throughput (1200Mbps). THE Hawking HW2R1 has five Ethernet ports that allows you to to connect your wired Internet-based devices.
- It features three external antennas that can capture a local wireless signal.
- The Hawking HW2R1 can ideally rebroadcast the signal with a range of 450 feet.
- It offers security features that allow you to manage its settings remotely for your convenience.
- Does not include 5Ghz LAN
Linksys RE6500 Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC1200)
Starting with the price, this wifi extender can range from $89 to $110. The LinksysRE6500 has more coverage area and additional security features. The Linksys RE6500 has a dual-band extender (can stream both 2.4GHz and 5GHz). This wifi extender supports the latest Wireless AC standard and offers a high throughput (1200Mbps). This wifi extender also a four Gigabit Ethernet port. It can provide a range of 10,000 square feet (as per Linksys).
- Has an audio input jack to connect your stereo or speaker system.
- Allows for streaming music wirelessly.
- Suited for use in an office or small businesses.
- It also includes a 128-bit encryption, as well as a Wireless Protected Setup (WPS) function.
- Offers a pretty impressive performance.
- It is a bit pricy compared to the standard Wireless signal extenders.
- Complicated setup.
Netgear EX3700 Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC750)
Much like the D-Link DAP-1520, the Netgear EX3700 plugs right into your wall socket. The EX3700 is one of the least expensivev options as this wifi extender for about $37. THE EX3700 comes with a dual-band extender (can stream both 2.4GHz and 5GHz). It supports the latest Wireless AC standards and offers a throughput of 750Mbps.
- The extender has two external antennas, so the Wi-Fi coverage is enhanced.
- Since it’s Netgear, it includes the Wi-Fi Analytics App that can help monitor your Wi-Fi traffic.
- Has one Gigabit Ethernet port so allowing for the creation a new hotspot.
- Gives you more versatility since it’s relatively inexpensive with a few extra features.
- The throughput is not that great compared to other extenders.
Netgear EX6200 Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC1200)
Ranging in price from $83 to $95, the Netgear EX6200 is another great wifi extender. THE EX6200 has a dual band extender (it can stream both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) and can also double as a second wireless access point. It supports the latest Wireless AC standard and offers a high throughput (1200Mbps).
- Includes a five Gigabit Ethernet port which is faster than the usual Ethernet standards.
- For optimal performance, this wifi extender has a dual-core processor, as well as high-power amplifiers.
- There are two high-gain 5dBi antennas as well.
- It is a bit bulky.
TP-Link RE350 AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender
The TP-Link RE350 wifi extender will cost about $60. It has a dual-band extender (can stream both 2.4GHz and 5GHz). It supports the latest Wireless AC standard and offers a throughput of 1200Mbps. The RE350 has one Ethernet port for wired devices.
- Offers an impressive long range performance
- It is relatively inexpensive compared to those that provide the same feature.
- Easy setup features as well.
- Looks pretty good, with two external antennas sticking out of its glossy white and gray exterior.
- Not made with durable materials.
The ZyXEL WAP3205 wifi extender has a dual band extender and offers a throughput of 300 Mbps. The data transmission is pretty stable due to the two five dBi external antennas that can enhance the Wi-Fi signal. This wifi extender has two Ethernet ports allowing you to connect your wired Internet-based devices.
- It can act as a WLAN client and bridge, as well as an access point.
- It’s also quite user-friendly and convenient.
- It offers a range of 300 feet.
- Requires networking knowledge upon setup.
Other wifi extender Tips
Depending on what you are looking for, you should always consider the features that suit your needs. What is good for some, might not be right for you. Always take note of the following tips.
- Find your area: How far do you need the signal to reach? You will need a stronger boost if you’re looking to extend the signal in your office, as opposed to that in your home.
- Consider any possible interference: Your signal can also be boosted by eliminating some objects that might interfere with the wireless connection.
Be sure yo change the location of your wireless device, and make sure not to put them in any enclosures like cabinets. Other things that can affect wireless signal are fish tanks (or any large water receptacles), some appliances, metal, mirrors, to name a few.
- Consider your budget: Being inexpensive doesn’t mean the product is low-quality. Based on your needs, the best wifi extender for you may also be one of the least expensive.